Google Custom Search Engine
What is Google Custom Search
A Custom Search Engine is a tailored search engine box, which uses Google technology but searches only the pages specified, such as your site. Once you create a custom search engine, the code to place it on your site, as well as to display the results, is provided for you.
Additionally, you can include other websites and pages outside of your site, tailor the look and feel of your search results, and choose to have no ads next to the search results.
Make money with your Google Custom Search engine
When you place a Custom Search Engine on your site, you can earn money from the ads that populate the search results pages. To do so, join the Google's AdSense for Search program. This program places contextually relevant ads on your Custom Search Engine's search results pages and pays you a share of the revenue generated from those ads. Learn more!
Obtain and create a Google Custom Search engine
To obtain your Google Custom Search:
- Go to the Google Custom Search page
- Click Get Started. You are brought to the Add a Custom Search Engine page.
- Fill out the fields:
- Search engine name: give your engine a name that you can refer to later, if you wish to edit it or modify it
- Specify site: enter the site you wish your engine to search
- click Create Custom Search Engine. Your engine will appear in the table:
Note the options to the right - these are used to manage your engine.
Find more help for Google Custom Search
To find in depth solutions and help, please go directly to Google for help.
Place Google site search box and search results on your site
When you create a Google search engine it is stored and displayed here.
Each search engine created has a list of Actions associated with it, displayed in the table, to the right of the engine name. One of these Actions is Code.
To display the search engine and its results on your site:
- Click Code. You are taken to a Google page dedicated to your search engine. If you don't have a Google account, you will see a sign up page. Follow the instructions to sign up.
- In the Google Custom Search page, note the menu on the left:
Select the Hosting optionsoption. The Look and Feel page for your search engine is displayed.
- Under Choose a hosting option, select iframe
- Click Get Code...
Note that two code fragments display in two separate code windows - Search box code and Search results code.
- Copy and paste the search box code to a place on your site where you want the search box to appear
- Copy and paste the search results code to a page on your site where you want the search results to display
Associate your AdSense account with your Google Custom Search Engine (Make money)
To connect your Custom Search Engine account with Google AdSense:
- Go to the Google Custom Search page. All your search engines are displayed in the table:
- Click Make Money for the search engine you wish to associate with AdSense. You are taken to the Google Custom Search page.
If you already have a Google AdSense account
- Fill in the form with:
- the email address that you use with your AdSense account
- your zip code
- the last 5 digits of your phone number
This information is used to connect your Custom Search Engine account to your AdSense accountIf you don't already have a Google AdSense account
- Fill out the information in the form provided
- You receive a confirmation email
- Use this email to activate your account
Note that while your AdSense account is being processed, no ads will appear in your search engine results.