File Management: Akamai Quick Connect
What is Akamai
Akamai is an edge server caching solution, aimed to speed up your site's load times across the globe. Though we strive to make our servers and architecture as fast as possible, the distance between our servers in Boston, MA, and the location of the page request affects page load times. The longer the distance, the longer it takes for that request to travel to our servers and back.
Configure Akamai after purchase
After you have purchased the Akamai, the following process occurs:
- We will modify your DNS, so that all new traffic requesting your site routes through Akamai's servers. The change takes a maximum of 24 hours, but often as little as 2 hours.
- We will set up browser caching on your site as part of the Akamai configuration. This configuration allows your site to maximize the benefits offered by the Akamai solution.
- We will redirect all requests for yoursite.com to www.yoursite.com, where 'yoursite' is your domain name. If you wish to change this default setting, to redirect to another subdomain, you may do so through the Akamai tool page. Akamai works exclusively on subdomains to avoid collision with existing DNS MX records that may be associated with the base domain.'
Route your site through Akamai when using custom Nameservers
When using foreign nameservers, you can still use Akamai. However, you need to make the following adjustments to your DNS settings at the nameserver you use:
- For each subdomain you would like to route through Akamai you will need two CNAMEs:
- a CNAME record pointing www.example.com to ipage-cust.com.edgekey.net
- a CNAME pointing origin-www.example.com to example.com
where www.example.com is the subdomain being routed through Akamai
I changed my pages, but the new content is not showing up
If you wish to change your site instantaneously, rename your images and all links to the images, to force the new content.
The Akamai solution has the following restrictions:
- Page views:
- Site security:
You cannot use the Akamai solution and SSL together