How to Update MX Records - Mail Exchange Record - DNS ManagementMX records are often modified to utilize a different email service than your hosting provider, or to designate personal servers as mail backups in case the default mail option fails.
Here are the steps on how to update your MX records:
- Login to your Domains Dashboard.
- In Card View, click Manage on the domain you wish to update the MX records.
- In List View, click on the cog icon.
- On the left sidebar, click on DNS & Nameservers.
- On the DNS & Nameservers page, select the DNS Records tab.
- Add a new A Record by clicking the blue + button.
- In the window that appears, select MX record type from the dropdown list.
- Type in the MX record value in the content field.
- Then click on the Add DNS button.
- Or, click the three dots on the MX record you wish to edit or delete. Make sure to update both MX Records with the right format.
- Make your revisions and Click on Update DNS. Note: Before updating MX Records, use these tools to verify where the domain’s MX record is currently resolving, before making changes: DIG or WHOIS
If NameServers are with us then follow these two formats for the two MX Records. Make sure to change the word "domainname" with your actual domain name.
If NameServers are pointing elsewhere, you will need to contact where the NameServers are pointed in order to get this change made. You can provide these formats so they can easily point the MX Records to us. Make sure to change the word "domainname" with your actual domain name and the "brandname" with the hosting provider name like hosting.comTo learn more about the primary use of various DNS Records, check out DNS Records Explained.